Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thank you, Harmonix

I recieved my latest copy of "Gameinformer" magazine in the mail yesterday. Right on the cover is some concept art from Guitar Hero 4. It immediately caught my attention and I flipped directly to the ad. Guitar Hero 4 on its own would have been enough to catch my attention, but the new features are what caught my undivided attention.

Harmonix recently blessed this Earth with a little game called "Rock Band". The success of this game has made many people forget that Guitar Hero even exists. The folks of Neversoft seem to have caught onto this and have included drums and vocals in the next installment. It gets better - there is also going to be a feature to create your own song, a luxury not afforded by Rock Band. It gets better still - the drums will be more realistic. I wish I could find the picture online, but let me tell you, the picture provided in the article nearly caused me to cream myself. The setup allows for more realistic playing. The green, red, and blue pads are drums, the yellow and orange are cymbals set in a position that makes the kit instantly superior to its "Rock Band" counterpart. There is also a kick pedal, so there will be one extra drum.

This is exciting to me, and I hope my excitement does not prove to be unfounded. Rock Band's only advantages over the GH franchise are twofold: more song selection (with plenty of weekly downloads, something GH has trouble with) and the drum/vocal aspect. Otherwise, GH has better playability, and less choppy graphics. If Neversoft can get the same type of song list going with plenty of ongoing downloadable content without sacrificing its other superior qualities, people may just forget about Rock Band. That is until Harmonix develops a sequel with even more awesome additions.

All in all, I thank you. Harmonix, for getting the ball rolling. Though it seems Neversoft is on the fastrack to perfecting what you started.

A brief rundown on GH4 is:

*Full Band
*Players can choose to be the lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist, bassist, drummer, or vocalist on any given song. Rhythm is something RB does not offer.
*Create-a-song feature that may or may not involve uploading your favorite songs directly into the console to be converted into a GH song. Cool as that is, who has the time for it? That must take hours to do.
*Just like in RB, characters and bands can be created from scratch. Or, the band can be made from the classic list of characters. Mix and match.
*Drums with the cymbals the place cymbals should be.

Well, it is Thursday. In exactly one week my buddy, Mike, from Maryland will be coming to visit. This will be his third visit to Arizona, but the first during the warmer season. He was initially planning to visit in July or so because he wants to know what our summers are like. Since he is considering a move out here, it was his goal to know what me may be in for. However, the great band, Iron Maiden, caused him to move his plans back a couple months. So here we are. In honor of Mike's visit, I have decided to make this week's anthems one of his favorite metal songs of all time. This is a ditty by Iron Maiden entitled, "Run to the Hills". This version is from a live show they played a few years ago in front of over 750,000 screaming Brazillians:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I don't want to alarm you, but Konami also announced Rock Revolution, featuring all instruments and DREAM THEATER. (Pull Me Under.) And for hardcore fans like me, there's even some Avril Lavigne.

12:51 AM  
Blogger Aaron \m/ said...

I am not alarmed. I look forward to this. So long as the gameplay is good, I am satisfied. Right now, Rock band has set the minimum for acceptance, which is a pretty high standard.

One other thing about GH4:

Apparently the guitar controller is going to have some new features that will enhance the gameplay. The older controlers will still work, but to get the full effect, the new controller will be necessary. For that reason, I have decided to hold up on buying a second controller.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

What's the point? They know they'll never beat the GH2 X360 controller.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home