Friday, May 02, 2008

The hint of sunlight

The Rush concert was last night, and I have to say that it was one of the better performances I have seen from them in a while. I will get to that later.

First, I am happy to report that the bleak job outlook just got 1000 times better. A couple weeks ago, Mike reccommended a staffing agency I quickly appliesd with. One thing I didn't know (and their website says nothing about) is that I needed to actually go in to their office. So I did and set up an interview for Tuesday. In the meantime, I am going to take their skills eveluation online from a link they are to send to my email.

I also went to a job expo for Orbital. They are an aerospace engineering firm that develops launch technologies such as satellite placement and missiles/missile targeting systems and the targets for test runs. I am a far cry from an aerospace engineer, but they do have a large finance department. I impressed the two people I spoke with initially, and I look forward to a callback for a second interview on their Chandler campus.

Yes, things are looking up, and my positivity is and confidence in my employability has drastically increased.

Anywho, the Rush show was awesome (as I noted before). The group expanded by two members. Last year, it was just Mike, Jeff, and I. We added another Jeff of the original Jeff's acquaintance, and Brad, a buddy of mine from the dojo. They did play this week's anthem as I thought they might, but they also played some songs that, while they were played last time around, were still surprising to hear. Songs like "Digital Man" that define in my mind the genius of their musical thought process brought back the feeling of old as I discovered this band.

Alex Lifeson was once again the clown he has become ever since the Counterparts tour. He is always a riot and is quickly becoming my favorite member of the band. Some of the antics he was doing on stage (easily three hundred feet away from where we were) were almost exact-yet-sarcastic renditions of the antics of a guy right in front of us. Clearly high on ecstasy, this dude's dance moves were almost more entertaining than the band. My group got a kick out of him. By the end of the show, this guy had cleared a radius of about ten feet around himself. Any closer to this guy and someone would get hit. It is always fun to watch a guy mosh alone to music that doesn't merit such an activity.

I also learned an important fact about Tom Sawyer...

A modern day warrior
His name's Tom Sawyer!
He floated down a river
On a raft with a black guy!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an awesome way to start a song!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Aaron \m/ said...

Yeah, they did it last year, too. Tom Sawyer was the last song of the second set before the encore. They actually had a few funny videos. Speaking of which, Geddy Lee has an amazing Scottish accent.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

That wasn't geddy. That was Harry Satchel. Pay attention, man!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great intro to the ONLY good Rush song. It's a shame you had to listen to the rest of their crap just to hear it though. They should have played it first so you could just leave and not waste the whole night.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home