Thursday, April 24, 2008

Green Hemorrhage

For those of you who have never been unemployed, let me tell you it sucks. This is the first time in my working life I have gone more than two days without work. The funny thing is that this time, I am actually trying to get employed. Maybe I should stop trying and a job will fall into my lap. It has happened before.

I have interviewed with the following companies (in no particular order):

Steve Hartman Insurance - The pay would have been alright, but it is commission only. Add to that the fact that they are pro union and I would have to join one. Anyone who knows me knows I cannot abide union membership. They are against almost everything I stand for politically.

Arizona Culinary Institute - The interview seemed to go really well. Not well enough I suppose. I should have heard from them by now. It is unfortunate. I would have done very well there.

University of Phoenix - I am not sure why it is, but for whatever reason, I cannot do well at interviews with this company. They gave me a hard time for attending but not applying with Grand Canyon University, not putting months on my resume (it has years only), and the amount of employment I have had since 2000. I have news for them: I have worked almost entirely in sales. There are no, zero sales offices in this country that are not revolving door situations. I also cannot help lay offs I have suffered. I have only been fired from a job twice in my life. UOP starts 20 new enrollment counsellors per month and they are still short handed. In past years, they have had a reputation for being an awful place to work. Newspapers and television stastions have all run stories about it. But alas, if I were offered a job, I would take it and I would succeed as I always do. Beggars can't be choosers, right?

Apollo College - I applied with them for a Financial Aid position. The interview went well, and they will set me up for my second next week when a panel can be created. I need to meet with the FA team as well as an admissions rep and a registrar since they are the people I would be working with. I have a little bit of an edge here. I know the manager of the department. He used to do FA at the Tucson campus when I was going down there one or two days a week to determine the strength of the high school market. Add to that the fact that one of the admissions reps there was a coworker on the high school staff at the same time I was. She seemed excited that I was applying. Since it would be at the Mesa campus, I wouldn't have to drive far to go to work. So here's hoping I get that gig.

With the Rush concert next week and other exciting things I have planned and committed to in the next few weeks, I really need a job, and soon.

Okay, anthem time. I think we need something loud. In fact, we will have to go to Japan to find our anthem today. No one knows loud like the all-Japanese hair band "Loudness". The song is called "Slaughterhouse".

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I'm telling you, man, you need to go sell cars. When else in your life are you going to have a chance to do that?

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home