Thursday, May 08, 2008

Accomplishments

The past three weeks have been hell. I have never gone through this in my life. I have had only three interviews with hiring managers anywhere thus far, and I found out why. I am limiting myself to accounting type jobs that won't take me in strictly because I haven't the experience. This was told to me in so many words by a prospective employer. At least they had the decency to explain it. So here I am looking at bank and data entry jobs to give myself the credibility to move up. I put in several applications with JP Morgan Chase today. The jobs range from teller to corporate positions. At this point, as long as I make at least $12/hr, I will be safe to live life as usual. Not having a car payment has really opened my options.

I went in to a couple staffing agencies here in town and they have nothing. I am at the top of their list, but as of now, there aren't a whole lot of jobs I qualify for open. Here is why that is: a lot of employers are backing away from agencies and simply relying on their HR departments to do the hiring. Why pay someone else to do something you already pay someone in-house to do?

There is a significant job fair at the Cardinal's Stadium on Wednesday. There will be a couple hundred employers there. Hopefully, they will be hiring managers and not just HR grunts. It would be optimal that I go there not because I have to. Having a job offer will allow me to approach this event more optimistically.

I found out today that I have finally been approved for unemployment. So there may be some income soon. Other than that, I have had two sources of income, and they were one-shot deals. The first was an eight dollar check from the bank we were making payments to. That is the amount we overpaid on our vehicle. The other source was more significant. Mike and I went to a Magic pre-release to sell my card collection off. Since we don't play much anymore, and when we do we use printed cards from the internet, it seemed right. So that was a cool $80 I desparately needed. That paid for a week of groceries.

There are some positives to be taken from this. Apparently I needed to be taught some sort of lesson. I believe I have learned it. I have also gotten to spend a lot of time with the family. Lately this time has been straining me. Not because of my family, but more because being around them reminds me of how I need to protect them, and I feel I am not doing that very well right now. I wasn't even when I worked for the range. My baby has a high lead level, no doubt from my working there. Anyway, other accomplishments have included my sharpening my interview skills and beating Lou on "hard" in Guitar Hero 3.

Tomorrow I begin my real estate training. I begin with my contract writing and fingerprinting. I have lately noticed the doors a real estate license opens up, so maybe I just need to plug at that, then get a job. If Career Builder is any indication, the combination of that license and an accounting degree = big money.

This week's anthem is totally coming from out my posterior. I happened to come across this beauty the other day and remembered how great Cinderella was when they wanted to be. This week's anthem is called, "Shake Me".

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Get a job, you hippie!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home