Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Two Weeks

Two weeks have gone by and still no job. I had a good amount of interviews last week, but have yet to get one this week. I am still waiting on one company getting back to me for a panel interview and I have an open house thing I am going to on Friday. There is a huge job fair at the UOP Stadium (where the Cardinals play) on the 14th as well. I really don't want to have to wait that long. Oh, I also have a potentially solid lead at another college in town through Scott, so we will see if that pans out.

Here is part of the problem as I have seen it: I can't even get my foot in the company's door. I have recieved two emails this week talking about my background not being a fit. They were both with an accounting department in an accounts payable capacity. Accounts payable, when it is all said and done is data entry. Accounting is more or less data entry, the only thing that separates the two is that accountants determine the data to be entered. Not to downplay accountants. Lord knows they do a heck of a lot more than that.

Anyway, the internet has proved to be more of a curse than a blessing of late. Because a lot of companies use this technology, they have taken down HR phone numbers and addresses to the exact office that is doing the hiring. They can sit and cherry pick employees based on experience alone. While I don't discredit experience, I do discredit the practice of a company seeing the word "accounting" next to the word "major:" in the education section of a resume and passing it by. It would seem that these are they types of people they would want to hire, and here's why: most companies have their own requisitions departments. Most people take on accounts payable/receivable, payroll, accounting clerk, and other assorted jobs with educational requirements not higher than a high school education as pass through work. Some are accounting majors and they stick with it. Others do the job just to have something to do. The latter which make up most of these jobs (in my experience) have no real drive for the department, and eventually, they will cap out on their salary.

People such as yours truly on the other hand, see the job not as a "pass through", but rather as a "step toward" their ultimate goals. Say a company hires me as an AP guy. I work in that capacity for a year and a half. Then I get that prized piece of paper that says I can do accounting. I apply to be moved into an accounting position within the same company and get said job. Eventually I am promoted to senior accountant, then a few years later I am promoted again. All the while, I have made that company my home. Their initial investment on a guy with no prior experience in the field other than some college classes pays off big time. The general rule is that the more they pay me, the more (to a much higher extent) I make them - or more to the point in this field, the more I save them.

Anyway, my morale is taking a huge dive. A few years ago, I couldn't stay unemployed for more than a few days. Now, I can't get employed. I know I am not unemployable. Still though, life is very rough.

I have decided that I am going to go into business for myself though. There is a company that specializes in selling businesses to private parties. The money takes forever to come in, but once it does, it can't be stopped. The only catch is that it requires a real estate license. I should be starting that school next week. One thing to point out is that this IS NOT going to be my primary source of income. I am still looking for employment elsewhere. Aaron needs a solid source of income, and his wife and three children need to eat.

Anyway, since I will be at a Rush concert tomorrow, I will be posting the anthem tonight. Usually, I would produce a video worthy of a Wednesday, but in honor of Rush's show tomorrow, they get this week's spot. The song is called "Between the Wheels". Oh, and a happy 34th birthday to Mike!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home