Saturday, May 17, 2008

Employed at last

Some of you may have heard that I got an "accounting assistant" job in Phoenix this week. Turns otu, there was no accounting department to assist at this job. Instead, this job turned out to be a front desk receptionist gig that would have been better suited for a 19 year old girl looking for some dull work and easy money. A thirty year old accounting major has no place in such a position. That being said, my tenure lasted all of an hour and a half. Something came up while I was at work that caused me to leave. What resulted from all of that was a series of interviews with various different companies. So who is the winning bidder? That would be Wells Fargo (for ye on the east coast, they are one of the largest banking presences around these parts).

Theoretically, on May 27th, I will beging my duties in their fraud department. If my background paperwork isn't recieved in time, then I will start on June 9. Either way, I have been offered employment. I got the call not 30 minutes after I left the Wells Fargo campus. I am not starting in a department that is accounting or finance related, but that is okay. I spent a month being picky and it got me nowhere. Since I have no experience in the field, it makes good sense for me to get in with a company that specializes in finance, work for whatever department I can, establish credibility with the company, and move up from there. The campus offers a lot of the more cosmetic features one would hope to have at work. The building is gorgeous on the inside with high ceilings on each of their four floors, the common area is set up like a restaraunt, and the personnel are all great. The hiring managers I met with didn't try to intimidate me, which speaks volumes about the culture around there. I have a friend that manages in the IT department in the adjacent building and he assures me it is a great place to work.

In the meantime, I am going to attend as many real estate classes as possible to expedite that process. Then Mike comes out on Thursday. Since I have a job forthcoming, I will be able to afford to do stuff. I am not sure exactly what, but I have the feeling a trip up north is called for. He hasn't seen Sedona or the Grand Canyon yet. Now is still a good time to go and even get some hiking in. I believe my buddy Brad from the dojo will be getting in on that. Of course, there are also good hiking trails along the Mogollon Rim, so who knows what I will do...

This weekend, Brett Varnum is in town teaching a full weekend of seminars. I went last night and recieved bruises on my neck as souevnirs. This guy is amazing. We spent all night working on wrecking necks. We focused on chokes, strikes, and nerve pinches. In an effort to learn the style, I willingly volunteer to feel what some of these things feel like. So I got clocked to the stereo sound of his thumb knuckles right across my jugulars. Just in case you were wondering, it hurts like hell.

Today, I won't be going to the seminar because it is my nephew's 12th birthday party. So I will be whisked away to beautiful Laveen to spend some time with my brother and his family. I should be back in time for the dinner get together with the seminarees.

I believe I will be returning to the seminar tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home