Thursday, July 10, 2008

Has it really been a month? *edited*

I finally have time to post on here, and I come to find I have been MIA for a month. Amazing. It seems as though it has only been a couple weeks.

My time from the blog is certainly justifiable. Since I am not in school at the moment, I have taken the last few weeks to really concentrate on writing my political/war epic. In fact, the other day I wrote something so poignant, I nearly brought myself to tears. One of these days I plan to post an excerpt. I am not sure how I will do it though. On one hand, I am proud of what I have come up with and I want to share it. On the other hand, if even one of the major characters names are mentioned in whatever I do share, then the story I am telling is blown wide open. Anyone with a knowledge of Egyptian history will be able to figure out where I am going. If they are a faster writer than I, they could write this incredible story before I do. Though another author already has, it seems his books on the subject are based in either outdated or nonexistent theories. Plus, I think I will tell the story a little better.

Anyway, I haven't been up to much else. I recently got promoted to the next rank at the dojo. That was awesome. My next graduation will include a demo. Oh, and one of the instructors asked me to assist him in his demo he is putting on for all the senior instructors at the forthcoming festival in Dayton, OH. It was actually quite an honor to be asked to do this. He must have a lot of faith in my ukemi (recieving) since we will be doing it on a thinly carpeted floor. The best part is that I get to show the senior instructors how well I can recieve (this is a big deal in the art) while I am still in my kyu ranks. Oh, I should probably mention that I will be going to festival this year. Finally, I will have an opportunity to meet one of my childhood heroes (still is, but for different reasons), Stephen K Hayes. There will be about ten of us going to represent the Phoenix Quest Center. This is a major difference to last year's four. The best part is that all of us going are friends brought together by similar minds. It is awesome to be a part of an organization that not only teaches solid self defense, but is probably the best non-church social network I have ever been a part of.

Though I have a myspace account, I never use it. I do go on occasion to see if anyone that I keep up with solely through that medium emailed me. I come to find just today that three different bands that I guess Ekosphere either played with or saw Ekosphere play a show had sent me messages asking if I was looking for a musical project and if so, I should come and check them out. The bands are pretty solid, but they do lack something I would be looking for. Though I am all about getting a project together, I have to be picky. Right now, there is the occasional gathering of the Bumpus Hounds, which certainly has its utility, but I am looking to get into something electronic. I am really reconsidering getting a group together that is driven by capitalism. I am not looking for a record deal, but rather a series of weddings, dances, corporate events, etc that will pay good money to have a band. I have done everything that I can do musically. I have beenin almost every type of musical project imaginable. From Jazz ensebles to Prog metal and everything in between. All for (except for the Cooperstown deal and a couple high school gigs) about 30 people and 0 cash. I have proven to myself I can do certain things and am thus satisfied. There is only one other option I would consider at this point, and only Mr Bahr knows about it. That I would do to prove to myself I can arrange such a thing...and would do it for free. Anyway, the answer to the three bands is: thanks, but no thanks.

Work is going well. I am already enjoying the priveledges associated with my employment such as my retirement contributions, my free interest-bearing checking account, and my day and a half of PTO per month I get to see pop into my pay voucher.

The awesome news keeps rolling in for me as I have discovered that GCU will be offering a BS in Finance. This should roll in no later than January which means I won't have to take the accounting route (many of you know I planned to get my MBA in finance anyway, the BS just makes sense). However, if for some reason the finance thing doesn't go through, then I will continue with the accounting. Either way, I will get to work with money and take a front row seat to watching the greatest show on earth: capitalism.

Since it has been a month, I need to choose an anthem that bleeds \m/. This week, I was exposed to some of the new Metallica stuff, and I have to say it brought me to tears. What a comeback from the crap of Load/Reload, and the poor production quality of St Anger! It is like unto a throwback to the black album, but with progressive undertones. Still, the 80's material is much better. I believe that this September will be the first time I will have bought a Metallica album since 1991! It's about time guys. You still have balls. To that end, they make the anthem spot. The only warning I have to issue comes from the vocals. They are not as awesome as they once were, but James is pushing 45 (at least) by now, so let's give him a break.In fact, I won't even post any of that. Rather, I will post their instrumental (save for James singing "Hey-Yeah" for about five seconds). The song is called "Ecstasy of Gold". It is the best new song anyway.



EDIT: Mike has made me aware that the anthem is an older song. That just goes to show how out of the Metallica loop I have been for the last fifteen years or so. Load was so depressing, I wrote them off. Sounds like they did have one shining beacon of hope before the St. Anger crap. Anyway, the anthem remains, but I should putin one of the new songs so you all know what I mean. I chose the one with the best vocals, "Throne of Ivory" is the song title.

Thanks for correcting me, Mike.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Ecstasy of Gold is on Metallica S&M... which is like a decade old.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thoughts?

Rock Band 2 On-Disc Track List

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product%5FID=71887

Highlights for me:
Disturbed 'Down with the Sickness'
The Who 'Pinball Wizard'
Survivor 'Eye of the Tiger'

Ok so there is some crap from Rush, Dream Threater and Journey but worse then those is...

Alanis Morissette 'You Oughta Know'

seriously? Alanis?

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home