Friday, February 08, 2008

Christmas Part 2

For Christmas, I recieved the gift of training with two senior instructors. The first part, I already commented on (Brett Varnum). I make good on the second part tomorrow with Tori Eldridge. She is currently the highest ranking practicing woman in To-Shin Do. She is a go-dan (5th degree black belt). I am particularly excited about this one because the instructor is female. Normally I don't see gender lines, but there is always something different about learning from kunoichi (female ninja). I have had nothing but good experiences thus far training under women in the ninja arts, and this experience promises to be even better. I shall post on that once my thoughts are together post-seminar.

My one hope is that she picks me to demonstrate at least one technique. I am sure I will be singled out because I am easily a foot and a half taller than she is based on the picture you see below. As has happened in the past, I make a very good example of how even the very small can topple the very tall.


I have also heard talk that she was the body model for the female lead in the Final Fantasy movie. If you see a picture of that it means I managed to find one. Anyway, this claim is not substantiated by my instructor. Someone else at the school told me this. I make certain to point this out just in case Ms. Eldridge reads her own press. I don't want her beating up Michael. I need him around to teach me.


In other related news, I have figured out how I am going to get out to festival this October. It is a pricey event in that I have to fly to Dayton, get a car, get lodging, buy food, and then there is the matter of the $250 admission for the whole event. That being said, it will be worth it because I will get to learn from Stephen Hayes, his wife Rumiko, and all the other senior instructors. Attendance at festival is important for anyone trying to advance up the ranks beyond 2nd or 3rd degree black belt, and since I see no end to my training, I may as well start getting this material now.


My height assessment was based on how long the sword looks next to her in this picture.

I assume this is the character she supposedly modeled for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home