Thursday, January 10, 2008

Se Habla Ingles

This week, I have heard the funniest advertisement since the "I'm a Pepper" campaign waged by Dr. Pepper. I am not sure who remembers this campaign from the 80's, but Dr. Pepper had this whole "I'm a Pepper" thing. The ad isn't funny domestically, but I remember the fallout when they tried to run the same slogan out in the UK. In Britian, a "pepper" is slang for prostitute. That is through the roof funny.

Stratosphere funny comes from the latest ad from Food City. For those of you not here in AZ, Food City is a grocery store that primarily caters to our rampant illegal Mexican element. The stores are almost always near a barrio. To their credit, they do sell the best vanilla you can get here in the states, so I do go there for that. They do sell a lot of what you would find at a Fry's (or Giant for you east-coasters), but the entire center portion of the store deals in Mexican imports. Now that you have the background, the ad they are playing to bring in Americans with some actual money basically states: "Yes, we speak English". I know. You Arizonans are probably spinning in your seats at this revelation. Anyway, it is hysterical. In fact, the guy in the commercial that finds out about the bilingualism os Food City acts shocked followed by a laugh track. At least Food City can laugh at themselves.

It is Thursday. Anthem time. I didn't do one last week. oops. This Wednesday is Kristin's and my 9th wedding anniversary, so I am going to tribute that with the song I wanted her to walk down the ailse to...just for the shock value to the attendees. It is a good inside joke for the female and I. It is not a hard rocker, but the guitar solo work is a solid example of why Neal Schon is one of my top 4 favorite guitar players. He never, ever plays an empty solo. All of his solos seem to say something. So here you go, this is Journey's "I'll Be Alright Without You". Oh yeah, the bass player is who he looks like. None other than Randy Jackson. You know, the "Yo dawg" guy from American Idol. Many contestants try to woo him by singing Journey in their auditions. This is why Journey gets such a massive representation in their preliminaries. Anyway, here you go:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home