Thursday, July 19, 2007

That's my boy!

Tonight, I took Jayden to the dojo to begin his martial arts training. He did very well in his first class and even kept up with the other kids in his class. He did have some issues with listening and focus as can be expected of any five year old boy, but he is coachable. His lunge punches were very well formed - this to me was the high point of the evening. Best of all, he really enjoyed himself. The curriculum is also designed to promote a more productive member of the family. The kids get stripes on hteir belts and even belt promotions based on their activities in and out of the dojo. For instance, some of the stripes are based on the student doing chores around the house...unasked I might add. This is where Jayden may run into trouble initially, but this kind of structure is definitely what he needs. With a new baby in the house, Kristin really needs some help. So Jayden and I have an arrangement: If he does what it takes to get his stripes, everytime he gets a new belt, he will get something special. He takes his white belt test next week, so after he passes, I am going to probably buy him a To Shin Do tee shirt to wear in lieu of his uniform top. It gets kinda hot in the dojo.

Anyway, I am very proud of him and I am ecstatic that I get to share this martial art with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home