Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The first step is the hardest

Due to unforseen lethargy, I did not attend training last night. What can I say? My lack of physical activity has caused me to be quite lazy when it comes to physical output that I am not paid for. This realization very much scared me. My out of shapedness has gotten out of control. In fact, it is downright embarassing. Many of you who know and hang out with me know I have a little bit of what they call a "papa gut." I know that if I don't start doing something now, I will be another diabetic statistic before I am 40. To that I say "hell no!"

So tonight, after doing some work at the range, I mustered up what little energy my body affords me and went down to the Quest Center for a look-see. I got there just after the class started. I was immediately greeted and then offered a chance to train. I accepted the offer almost reluctantly. The first time I train with any group always seems to be the most harrowing. At that time, everyone in the room knew I was the fresh meat, and as such I felt very much under a microscope. Then, I find out I am one of six newbies in the class. All of a sudden, that leap onto the mats turned into not such a big deal.

The head instructor and his staff are amazing. The class structure and technique were very much like the school in Olney, Maryland I once taught for. This is very good. In fact, I settled in just nicely there getting a lot of compliments from instructors and students. When I explained my Ninjutsu experiencxe, they quickly understood why I was as proficient as I am. Maybe I should have kept the information to myself so they would go on thinking I am some sort of martial prodigy. This is not to say I looked perfect...or even efficient, but I did look like I was grasping the concepts very well. At the end of class, the six of us were awarded our white belts after a short initiation. This is a great sales tool , but it is also effective in helping to immediately build confidence for new students. So as a capitalist and a "martial artist", I can appreciate this practice.

The tuition isn't as expensive as I thought it might be. Granted, it is not the $70 per month I was paying ten years ago, but it isn't the $200+ the Dayton Quest Center charges. The price is reasonable considering the price of rent they must be paying combined with the fact that I can go in and train 5 times per week if I want initially, and even more as I progress.

Yes, I would have to say my initial impression is good. Things could change theoretically. This is why I am glad the first month is free. Though I think it is extreme to give a full month of instruction away, I have no problems taking advantage of it.

Anyhoo, now that I have taken that first step, all subsequent will be easy for me to take. I have tasted training again (and I have money now), and now my thirst for more is unsatiable. So here is to what may be a long and fruitful relationship once again with my old friend, Ninjutsu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home