Monday, July 16, 2007

The heat was hot

So guess what I did today? At about 11 am, I called my boss, Bridger to ask him if he wanted me to put the "Gun Sale This Weekend" sign up. Always down with marketing any even the range puts on, he of course said he would like me to if I didn't mind. He actually sounded a bit surprised that I volunteered to do this. Here is why:

1.) It is July
2.) The highs were to be around 112 today
3.) I had to get on the roof to put the cumbersome 20'x6' sign where it was designed to go.

Am I a retard? Probably. It takes a physical effort to hang the sign up correctly. Couple that with the rising temperature outside as well as all the heat inside the building coming up on me, by the time I was done, I looked (as my other manager, Brian said) like I was about to die.

So the special on the Discovery Channel last night exceeded my expectaitions. Let me go on record for saying Dr Zahi Hawass is the man. He absolutely deserves his position. That being said, his hand is in absolutely every pot that deals with antiquities, and he comes across as being the worst kind of micro-manager. But one must respect the man. The mummy they determined to be Hatshepsut has me 100% convinced. They (by chance) came across an extracted molar in her canopic box which also contained her liver and (another surprise) intestines. When it occured to the team to use the only known parts of the pharaoh to do a DNA cross examination, I figured that was the key. Turns out, the resin had made the liver too impenetrable, so they did a CAT scan on the box and came acrss the image of a tooth. Long story short (too late, I know), they ran the image up against the missing tooth space on one of the mummies, and it was an exact match. The size was right, the spacing was right, and the fact that the mummy still hat a root intact and the molar in Hatshepsut's box was missing the same root. Her Dentist doesn't seem to have been all that compentent. Science is quite amazing.

I feel I should also clear up something I said earlier (due to the comment posted on my last post)...I said Hatshepsut was the most substantial female King, but the most famous is certainly Cleopatra. If one compares one to the other, Hatshepsut definitely did more for for Egypt.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the little I saw of the special it was fascinating. As someone with only a passing interest in the history I know little more then the common misconceptions. Other then Cleo and Hut I can name none of the other rulers. So this was the first I had ever heard on Hatshe_____ and what I found really interesting is it seems they tried to erase her from history, possible because of a forbidden romance with a commoner. (Sounds like when you're done with your historical fiction novel I should lend you some of my mom's romanic novels)

I hope they reair this special soon so I can watch the whole thing.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Aaron \m/ said...

They will probably re-air it this weekend, and then ad nauseum on all other Discovery-owned networks. Just like they did with the building the pyramid one you saw and the one on the new tomb (really an embalmer's cache) in the Valley of the Kings. You will get your chance, I promise.

I will post a public post on the other part of your comment - I was actually planning to anyway.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home