Sunday, July 15, 2007

Even when I lose, I win

As was stated in the last post, I spent a good portion of my Saturday at Warboss in Tempe to attend the pre-release tournament for Magic: the Gathering Tenth Edition. Well, I can't say I played too well. I did better than the last tournament given I was pitted against seasoned veterans and still managed to hold one of them off for 20 minutes in the first game of the first round before I ran out of gas. There were only seven of us there, and I placed seventh. Amazingly, I actually won prizes. I got 3 Tenth Edition booster packs, a filing box, and a game mat (stylin').

Afterwards, those of us present and then a newcomer wanted to do what is called a draft. I won't get into the details of what that means, but this was the first time I had ever been involved in a draft. Needless to say, I didn't understand the rules. This is okay because while I didn't beef up on any one color, I did get quite a few valuable cards I intend to use in my newest decks. So though I didn't win any new prizes from the mini tournament that followed the card draft, I still came up very well.

Later in the evening, I met with Mike, Steph, Christina, and Jay at the Macaroni Grill for dinner. We then made our way to the shooting range. We did some shooting, and after they left, I stuck around to fix some odds and ends before I took my leave.

Tonight, in lieu of the typical movie, Kristin and I will settle in, popcorn and all for a show...no, an event on the Discovery Channel, "The Secret of Egypt's Lost Pharaoh". This is a 2-hour special about the "discovery" of the mummy of King Hatshepsut - the most substantial of the female kings of Egypt. Egyptomania has come back full swing with an abundance of discoveries over the last few years spawning many documentaries - some in real time proving to be unrehearsed like a reality show. But the claim that this particular presentation presents, if accurate, will be the biggest and most important historical find in 85 years. I refer, of course to Howard Carter's discovery of King Tutankhamen's intact tomb in November 1922. Apparently, the assignment of the overweight, diabetic/cancerous mummy they claim to be Hatshepsut was designated such through dental comparisons. At least that is what the news (and Supreme Council of Antiquities head Zahi Hawass) has been purporting over the past several weeks.

Tonight's viewing should prove to be very interesting...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched some Discovery channel last night. Saw the one about building the greart pyrimid. I saw some of the Hatshepsut, missed the beginning and ending but saw them CAT scanning mummies.

Anyways I thought Cleo was the biggest she-King of ye olde Egypt.

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home