Saturday, July 28, 2007

No Equilibrium

Last night's Rush concert was...interesting. As Mike (linked at right) put it, the set list was unbalanced. On one hand, they played many songs that surprised me, on the other hand, they played eight songs from "Snakes and Arrows" and two songs from the travesty "Vapor Trails" album. They also played four songs from the Permanent waves album only adding to the imbalance. But since Permanent waves is my favorite album, I was okay with it. That album contains both my favorite Rush song ("Natural Science") and the song that got me addicted to them ("The Spirit of Radio"). Both of these songs made it on the set list as well as the obligatory "Freewill" and the surprising never-played-on-tour-ever "Entre Nous".

Rush also surprised the audience with "Digital Man", "Mission", "Circumstances", "Witch Hunt", and "Passage to Bangkok". The surprises also dwelled within what they didn't play. We didn't get "Closer to the Heart" (I am not sure they have ever left this one off any set list since it was released in 1977), "Bravado", "Roll the Bones", and "Red Sector A". These omissions were a bit shocking to me.

Another point Mike made in his review blog was that there were quite a few albums not represented. They really should have focused less on playing so much from "Snakes and Arrows"...that would have freed up the better part of an hour of music from the neglected albums.

Of course, they did play (with the exception of "Closer to the Heart") the "must plays" the casual fan demands: "Tom Sawyer", "Limelight", "YYZ", "Freewill", and "The Spirit of Radio". These are all songs that if left out of a setlist would likely incite a riot.

All in all, I was very pleased with the performance. They were spot on in every way. And they played well in front of a packed audience of 20,000. I love that Rush, all by themselves, can fill stadiums whereas many current bands cannot without bringing about 3 other bands with them *coughKorn'sfamilyvaluestourcough*

And for the record Mr.Bahr - it wasn't cheapskateness so much as fiscal frugality that led us to park in the best possible spot...especially given the circumstances. For all those curious about what I am talking about - read his blog (Bahr's House of Exuberance).

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Oh, I hope my comment about your cheapskateness did not come across the wrong way. It was a brilliant move and we have your skinflint ways to thank for it. :)

2:16 AM  
Blogger Aaron \m/ said...

I didn't take offense to your comment. I knew where you were going with it. No worries.

Although, we should thank Jeff and Debbie for that as well. They are the ones who knew about the dirt parking lot on Encanto. I was prepared to park at Sam's Club or Party City.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I bought Settlers of Catan. With a nice discount by trading in some rares over at Gamers Inn. Booyah!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Aaron \m/ said...

Sweet! I guess I know what the plans are for this upcoming weekend!

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home