Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I'm an enabler

Here is the problem with allowing people to buy needles without any restrictions whatsoever:

This guy no older than 21 years tops comes to the pick up window at about...oh, 915 or so. He asks for 1.0 cc 29 gauge syringes for his fiancee who apparently has type I diabetes. He said that the thinner 31 gauge needles had a tendency to break when busting through the membrane on the insulin vial. He even mentioned a specific brand name of the insulin (either Novolin or Humulin). There was a clear scent of alchohol on him, but so far, he has done nothing illegal or suspicious. When it is time to pay, he turns to some random people behind him to see if they had a dollar he could borrow. After he gets a "no", he turns around and hands me a $20. Bear in mind that a pack of 10 needles costs only $2.49. At this point, I am really wondering about this guy...why would he ask for a dollar when he has more than plenty to cover the cost. Still though, nothing illegal, so I conclude the transaction. After we are done, he asks where the bathroom is. I tell him and he is on his way. I helped the folks behind him, and after they leave, the Pharmacist, John, said something to the effect of, "It's always nice when we can assist people with their heroin addictions." Of course, he was being sarcastic.

Holy irony, Batman!

So at about 10pm I was counting the last register when one of the guys from the photo department tells me that someone has OD'd in the men's bathroom. As you may have summized, it was the antagonist of this little tale. Of course, I felt like an idiot because I could have refused the sale. But on what grounds? That he was a little drunk? To deny someone their diabetic supplies (in this case an assumed innocent) really didn't seem like the right thing to do. This guy used the correct jargon to convince me that he knew what he was talking about.

There was no confirmation by the time I left that he used any needles. I guess there is a remote chance that the needle sale was on the up and up and just snorted a rail of blow off the toilet seat, but chances are heroin or some other injectable was at play. Certainly not insulin though.

I did nothing illegal. I did not (as yet) even have to make a statement. I don't even feel bad for the guy. What he did, he brought on himself. As I saw the paremedics fastening him to the gurney, I thought to myself, "serves him right." This guy will get detoxed, go to court, and I have the feeling he will be joining his ilk in Tent City. For those who don't know what that is, it is exactly what it sounds like. A city of tents where he will be just another link in a chain gang forced to wear pink and do hard labor out in the scorching sun. Yeah, he chose a horrible time of year for this. After his time is served, it will be off to rehab. If I am worng about the process, maybe Mike can clear it up.

On a lighter note, I bought the tickets for the Dream Theater show tonight. There will be six in our group. It will be Jeff, Mike, Steph, Justin, Heather, and myself. It shall be a jolly good time.

Jayden has conquered some of his hydrophobia (he inherited it from me). Up until yesterday, all he would do is monkey walk aaround the pool. As long as he had a wall to hold, he was ok being in the pool. Now, all of a sudden, he is swimming in the middle of the pool. He tells me it is because I made him go with me a few times in the past week. I seem to remember having that exact conversation with my dad when I was younger.

And the circle of life keeps on rollin'. Cuz it don't stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home