Saturday, April 21, 2007

I am nerd

So I went to my first Magic tournament today. I actually really enjoyed myself. Through those two sentences, I validate my subject header. Big whoop? Wanna fight about it?

Anyway, I did as well as Mike thought I would do. Due to being a newbie, he thought I would win one round. And guess what? I actually won one (each round is determined by a best 2 out of 3 game thing). I done Mike proud, methinks. This was a pre-release of the newest set which will be available to the public in two weeks. After paying a $30 entry fee, one recieves a starter pack of the current set (In this case, Time Spiral) and three booster packs of the new set that has yet to be released (Future Sight). Even if you don't win, worst case scenario, you walk out with some new cards. This was the case for me, but my effort was valiant.

In the first two rounds I got eaten alive. I was out in the first 15 minutes of the 45 they gave us to play each time. The third round, however, I won with a 2 and 1 . I won the first game, lost the secong, then won the third. I was proud of myself for not only winning a round at my first tournament, but also for being able to survive long enough to play a third game. The latter would be repeated in round 4.

I lost game one, won game two, then lost game three. Even though I lost the round, the win I had was more satisfying than the round I won against my previous opponent. Why? Because the guy I was playing against was the stereotype geek that thinks he is so cool because he is good at Magic. He started our round by trading cards with some loser for the first 5 minutes of our round. Then he more or less told me he was gonna mop the floor with me using the elements (whatever that means). So imagine his face when I beat him in that second game: a teenage ginger boy (red hair, freckles aaaalllll over and pasty skin) with a bad moppy haircut and nothing special about him other than his knowledge of Magic and D&D defeated by a person who admitted that he had only played the game a handfull of times. He looked like he was gonna wretch. Did he admit he lost fair and square? No. He just said "I know how I could have beaten you, I just didn't". His face said otherwise. What a bad sport. Red, if you ever read this, remember you lost to a newbie. And that you can cup said newbie's peaches. Werd.

Overall, the people there were not nerds as I expected, but career-driven socialites that use Magic, probably their last vestige of their youth, as a release and social activity. Maybe that is why I enjoyed myself. My last opponent was the minority. Funny how he fit the stereotype of how the world views Magic players.

The rollercoaster that is my band is now again on a high note. I came across another ad by a guitar player and drummer who said they were looking for a "powerful vocalist and bassist. Mike and I are that. But, we are a packaged deal with Jeff. When I responded to the add, the guitar player, Anthony said that another guitar player would be good to have. Before I got too ahead of myself, I let him know we have progressive leanings. Guess what? That works for them. I did explain the melodic, theme related prog we write, so there should be no real surprises when we present it. Then again, maybe we have painted a different picture than what becomes the reality. Who knows? This is why we agreed to get together and jam a couple times. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. But this time, it won't be from a lack of trying. Again, either way, a solid lead is a solid lead and should not be overlooked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home