Monday, August 25, 2008

Passing the Time

When I am in between cases at work, I find myself surfing the net reading up about all that interests me. Today during my first break, while I was reading an inspirational fiction by Elizabeth Peters, I found myself inspired (go figure) to get online and learn a little more about a necropolis where some of my book's key players were buried. While I was looking into it, I stumbled upon a real gem here on blogspot all about the latest Egyptological news (now linked at right). The blogger (Andie) is dedicated to her passion. She is apparently trained as an archaeologist and is currently pursuing post-graduate work in the field. I suppose that is neither here nor there. What I do appreciate is that she makes it very easy for the amateur Egyptologist *coughmecough* to find out what is going on and when. Usually, I wait for the newest issue of KMT to come out (this is a quarterly publication I buy without fail).

I often wonder where I would be right now had I chosen to pursue Egyptology as I had planned to do right out of high school. Since I would have settled for no less than the American University in Cairo, I would certainly speak fluent Arabic by now which would be very marketable under current conditions (required for all AUC students). I would have gotten to spend a good 4 years minimum in the country that has been the source of such unreachable longing I cannot find words appropriate enough to express it. Perhaps I would have gotten to do some work in the impressive KV5 with one of my heroes Dr. Kent Weeks. Then again, maybe I would have found a position working on the animal mummy project with one of my heroines Dr. Salima Ikram. Or, perhaps I would have spent time working on any of the myriad other projects they have going on. Most certainly, I would have made it a point to meet many of my favorite authors and authorities on the subject. I would have made an excellent archaeologist. I once went on an archaeological preservation expedition when I worked at American express to preserve an ancient Hohokam mound. Mundane as that was to many that came, I was overcome by archaeological fever. How, then, would it feel to put my hands to work in some ditch in Abydos, repiecing fragments of pottery in Tanis, or - better still - been a part of an excavation that discovered the tomb of a king? The speculation is titillating - I aint gonna lie. Part of me wishes I had grown a pair when I was 17 and made it happen. Lord knows I could have. The option was there. I knew the people fairly well. I have never met an Egyptian I didn't like, and I have known many. What kept me from doing it? Who knows?

I like to think that it has entirely to do with what would become my family. If I went to Egypt to go to college, I never would have met Kristin, we never would have had our kids, and the good life I have now with both family and friends would not exist as I know it. With particular emphasis on the former, I would not trade that for two lifetimes of Egyptological study.

So what stops me now from pursuing Egyptology at U of A or something? Economics. The pay is crappy. Certainly not enough to reliably raise a family. The ones with money write excellent books on their findings and make "talking head" appearances on Discovery Channel documentaries - and they are far and few between. Careers in finance, on the other hand, does make good money. Enough to pay for annual trips to Egypt in a decade or so.

It is too bad one can't have their cake and eat it too.

So what was I talking about before sprining off on this wild tangent? Oh yeah, the new link. I definitely recommend it if history is in any way your thing. There is hours of reading to be had. Thank you, Andie for putting the site together!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home