Friday, May 08, 2009

A good idea

My good friend Mike just did something I have been contemplating for the past month or so. He has recently deleted the lion's share of his blog posts for various reasons - all of which were valid.

Ever since I began considering my financial services business, the idea came to me more than once that some of my posts might not help me get business should my clients run across my blog. Some might not appreciate my fiscal conservativism (which would not make sense for any business owner to disagree with me). Some might disagree with my social liberalism (sans governmental enforcement, of course). Some might have a problem with the obvious innuendo implied in the blog title. Some might simply have a problem with the music videos I post from time to time. Who knows?

One thing that is certain is that this blog as it stands may not be the best PR vehicle for me if I want to be taken seriously. As it is, I have a hard time getting people to take me seriously. I speak mostly of those I am close with. My friends see my exuberant side most of the time. I can't say as I blame them, really. My job sucks the life out of me. It is not easy, and unfortunately there is no room for having a good time. Most of my day is spent putting out fires with customers.

It is a fact that I have an unmatched skill at de-escalating volatile situations. I am the best in my office. It takes an amazing amount of people skill to do it. It also takes an amazing amount of mental, emotional, and sometimes physical energy to do it. I have been given awards because of it, and a lot of compliments either forwarded to managers, or by managers that hear me do it, or by branch bankers that were having their butts handed to them until I saved the day. My empoyer and co-workers take me very seriously. So much so that I have been all but given a blessing to move on into our accounting department(s). Only problem there is that there are no accounting positions open.

Is it any wonder why I would want to unwind and get silly when I am around those I choose and prefer to be with?

The seriousness of my job does indeed cause the stand up comedian in me to come out around my family and friends. Of this group, only about a handful and a half take me seriously. Those friends have been made aware long ago of my intentions to get my business off the ground. At this point, it is the only thing I think about. It is the only thing I can think about.

So here it is. This is what I am going to be doing. First off, the name of my business will simply be "Ketterer Financial Services". There are two good things about the name. First, it is short and simple. Second, it allows me to grow into the name without overgrowing it. As I have already mentioned, I will be starting with basic accounting services (budgeting, bookkeeping, etc). However, the name will still be valid when tax services can be rendered and even when I have my CPA and CMA. I could get certified in investments (series 6, 63, etc) - which I probably won't - and the name would still be relevant.

There is a lot in a name, and I think I have made my point about it.

I have identified my target markets for this current phase of the business:

1. Small businesses - this includes all struggling businesses as well as businesses who are doing well that might like to do even better. Whether I am doing monthly (or quarterly budget analyses) or regular bookkeeping, this market would be my bread and butter. I will actually be posting about the importance of budgeting once I decide what I am going to do about this blog.

2. Families - this includes singles, of course. My goal is - as with the businesses - to help folks get out of debt quicker so as to mitigate the damages. Family budgets are hard to live by. My services would be tailored to the individual family's needs, and I will make adherence as easy as possible. Anyone reading this would benefit. Anyone in general would benefit.

Moving on, I actually have sophisticated (enough) software. I have the full version of Microsoft Accounting 2008 which is like Quickbooks, except better, and it also offers a functionality that will allow me to do family budgets.

My credentials are solid enough. I am a senior at Grand Canyon University pursuing a BS in accounting. My accounting classes do have a lot of theory in the reading, but my exercises are purely practicum. I have plenty of experience that has yielded good grades. Most importantly, I know what I am doing and what I am talking about. I have no intention of overextending.

If any of you reading this know of someone or some business I can help, please pass along my information, or pass theirs to me (especially if you do not know me). I leave my comments area unlocked to everyone, so long as they are a real person. I will have a website up as soon as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home