Sunday, May 27, 2007

I am so glad I don't have to work tomorrow

Yup. That says it all. Anyone who has read any of my blogs probably knows why. My job sucks the life out of me. I get paid peanuts to deal with the trashiest trash life has to offer. It actually has me questioning my career decision. Or more to the point, how I am going about my career decision.

I have worked most of my adult life in the sales industry. With sales, one must posess a high degree of customer service skills. Skills I know I posess, otherwise that year I was on track for about $70,000 wouldn't have been possible. Also, I would not get hired at every job I apply for (usually the same day). I can sell peace of mind. These skills have never failed me.

Now that I work in a low-income area, the skills I have developed sometimes seem obsolete. For instance, some poor chick with no teeth wants to get her percocet - the only thing she clearly has to live for. She asks me to call the doctor to get authorization on the fill. I explain that because percocet is made from opium, it is designated as a class 2 drug. Because it is class 2, we cannot take phone-in prescriptions on it. That would be illegal. She will need to get a hard copy, signed prescription before we could fill it for her.

Somehow, it is all our (the company's) fault. She flies through the roof telling me how badly she "needs" it and how we are screwing her. Part of me wants to tell her to bugger off and that I have no interest in her voluntary addictions. But instead, someone else at work does it for me (not in so many words) because I won't. I always try to take the appeasement road. So far, it has never worked with the perpetually ignorant. Ironically, these are also the people living in America's lower class. I think I will assume the "take no crap" attitude as well. It seems to be the only language these people understand.

Poor old people on about 17 different medications are usually no better as they are not good stewards of their meds and their refills are never on the same schedule. This is because the prescriptions are written at different times often by different doctors. Of course, this is all our fault too.

Anyway, I have been thinking about my options in pharmacy. I will never have to deal with these people (not directly anyway) in the hospital, mail order, military, or clinical settings. I am considering going that route after I am certified. Or, maybe I will hit up for a transfer in an area of town that is middle to upper middle class. I trained at a store like that, and I dealt with maybe 2 of the junky or vitriolic elderly varieties.

I love the medical field, especially the pharmaceutical end. But some of the people dependent on it can be a real drag. So it is nice not to have to work on Monday. One extra day of rest. Plus, my summer class starts on Tuesday, so I am really in need of that extra day to reset my mind.

Kristin is getting really close to birthing the baby. Something happened the other day that signifies the beginning of the end. Since she knows how to access my blog now, I will not discuss publicly what that is.

Tonight, she and I will at long last watch "Apocalypto". This is a much anticipated movie for me as it is set in the Mayan world. It is actually a travesty I have not been able to see it until now. I am looking forward to Kristin seeing this movie especially because I don't know anybody that knows as much about the Maya as I do (at least not anyone I ever talk to), and maybe this will entice her to read more about the subject so we can have something to talk about.

The movie is set in the Post-classic era of Mayan civilization. My clues to this are the Aztec-style sacrifices and the fact that at the end of the movie, apparently Spanish Galleons are seen off the coast of the Yucatan. The movie is all subtitled as the language being spoken is Ycatec, a Mayan dialect still widely spoken today in the modern days Mexican states of Yucatan and Quintana Roo.

Anyway, I will post my thoughts on the movie on my next post.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Buddy, you need to read Atlas Shrugged, and you need it badly.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Aaron \m/ said...

It is over 1000 pages. I am not sure I have the time to read it.

I read the Wikipedia summary, and the book has a lot of good points. The people I dispense meds for would be the "moochers".

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kinda weird that though we have totally different jobs we're talking to the same kind of people. Pyschic hugs there, buddy.

Martin

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home