Thursday, March 25, 2010

Resolved

Wow. Has it really been almost three months since my last post? I used to write here a lot. I have been very busy, so I suppose posting on a blog three people read has not been very high on my list. Just like Mike (Bahr, linked at right), I think it gets progressively harder to write blog posts that no one reads - and if they do that no one comments on. I have had time to consider the purpose of even bothering. I have discovered this purpose. I strongly believe in keeping a written record, a journal if you will, of one's life and one's thoughts. Since my handwriting sucks (and I hate writing by hand), this seems just as good a place as anywhere to "jot down" the events of my life. Anyone interested is welcome to read and comment, but I will be just as content writing to myself.

The major news nowadays is that I have finally entered the accounting world. Well, technically, that start on March 29th, but I have arrived. It is not the job I was referring to in my last post, but it is a higher paying gig and will give me experience in accounting. The job is only sweetened by the equal amount of operations-related work, so I will keep my chops up there as well. My resume will look very good in a year. While this is not the highest paying job I will have had (there was a time when sales more than did it for me), it is definitely what I would define as my "breakthrough" job and a bona fide career move. So far, 2010 is working out nicely for me.

My daughter will be born any day now. The timing isn't great due to my new position, but my soon-to-be manager is being very cool about it. Objectively speaking, there is nothing either of us can do if Kristin goes into labor around that time.

In a completely unrelated direction, we move to one of my favorite subjects of conversation: Egyptology. There have been a lot of great discoveries, validations, and theories presented of late. There have also been a lot of concerning issues such as the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA) making life harder for foreign archaeologists to do what they need to do. A lot of it stems from national pride, and I support that 100%, however not the way it has been employed (not entirely anyway). That is a subject for a different post. Perhaps I will never post it because I am trying to stay away from political issues since they cause arguments no one wins.

Going back to new discoveries, it was recently confirmed that Tutankhamen was not murdered. For at least a decade, death by other means has been the generally accepted theory, but the murder theory still had a large following. Recently, Dr. Zahi Hawass, the "head' of the SCA made an announcement that malaria was the confirmed killer. Remnants of the malaria breakouts are still visible on the mummy. While malaria has long been held as a strong candidate for the premature death (the king only lived to be about 19 years old), the Egyptian government never allowed the required testing. It turns out that it came down to Dr. Hawass preferring an team of Egyptians to do the tests and he was merely waiting for some to be trained to do this. I have mixed feelings about this and they would be best shared on the aforementioned national pride post if it ever happens.

So with this discovery (more a validation of theory) and others, there are still people trying to prove theories that have already been proven. Did you know there are still people who believe the pyramids were built by slaves? I didn't either. This guy believes the slave theory is alive and well apparently. He has exhausted considerable efforts to disprove something that has already been disproven. In hos defense, he has posted a very articulate essay. Additionally, it is very accurate. For people who want to know more about who or how the pyramids were built (there are a couple accepted theories as to the "how"), his essay is a no-nonsense, easy to read document that I recommend to anyone interested. So far, he has only posted part one of three. Again, it is a good read and my only problem is he is debunking an already debunked theory.

It has been a while since I posted a triumphant music video. And if it is one thing Bill and Ted taught us, it is that you can't have a triumphant music video without Eddie Van Halen (and vice versa). This song is called "Poundcake" and one of my favoritest Van Halen songs ever.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shemsu Sesen said...

Hey dude,

Thanks for the (mostly) positive review. You'll be glad to know that parts 2 and 3 will focus on Mark Lehner's Pyramid City.

To be honest, I was mostly using the Slave Hypothesis as a context to write about Lehner's work, and what started me off on the whole thing was Hawass' total lack of mentioning Lehner's role in putting the old yarn in its grave.

Hawass changed his blog to mention Lehner (briefly) after the public stink some of us made about the very obvious slight.

And getting an endorsement to the tune of Poundcake works for me. Works real good..

Party on.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Aaron \m/ said...

Hey,

Thanks for commenting.

First, I would like to apologize because a part of my review made me sound exasperated when I actually wasn't. Referring to a person whose writing I respect (as the rest of my review would indicate) as "this guy" was really not cool. I know you didn't call me out on that, but in hindsight, I should have been more respectful.

That said, the beginning of your essay did seem to speak a little much to the slave theory. Maybe I was reading it out of context. I did notice your repeated peppering of Dr Lehner and his contributions. I applaud you for doing it and also being a part of the "stink" to put Dr Hawass in check.

Hawass is an interesting individual. On one hand, he is a brilliant scientist. On the other...well, you know.

Dr. Lehner has been a long time hero of mine. In fact, I remember a PBS video my parents bought me called (I believe) "Pyramid". It featured the good Dr and Omar Sharif. The latter was kinda spooky, but Lehner beautifully and simply explained what we knew about the pyramids circa 1984 or whatever year it came out. Since then, I have followed him. My favorite book in my collection is "The Complete Pyramids". The man knows his stuff.

As I eluded to in my post, I am looking forward to parts 2 and 3. I will, of course post a link to them when they are posted.

As for musical endorsements...I will make sure they are top notch when I link to your site everytime :-)

Keep up the good work!

~Aaron

6:57 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Ladies & Gentlemen, I'll be brief.
The question here isn't whether or not we broke some rules, or took some liberties with our female party guests. We did.

But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for a few sick, twisted individuals.
For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system?

And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general?

I put it to you Greg, isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?

Well, you can do what you want to us, but we're not going to sit here, and listen to you badmouth the United States Of America!
Gentlemen!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Aaron \m/ said...

Uh...What?

I translated the Chinese and nothing makes any sense in regards to your response. Are you quoting a movie?

I am deleting the Chinese.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Mihir Sarkar said...

This is a very Nice video.
Read a lot of blogs specially interesting ones like your blog, Good post! I accidentally found your site on the internet

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home