Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Hypocrisy

I know I have said on several occasions that I have absolutely no interest in reading fiction recreationally. Most of what I read are history books steeped in either archaeological fact or conjecture. My favorite literature are ancient texts written by real people expressing real beliefs, desires, and emotions. My favorite mystery books examine the unanswered questions left by civilizations decimated by man's only natural enemy: time.

Because I am such a history nut, my sister Jen recommended that I read historical fiction. She is the only person I know with a love of history that I would say rivals mine, and she assured me that I would enjoy it. So I caved. I figured that if she is good enough to name my only daughter after, I could take her word for it. I did some research on Ancient Egyptian fiction and came upon an author (Turns out one of the most successful in history) I was introduced to in high school - Wilbur Smith.

The book I had to read was "When the Lion Feeds". I can't say that I remember too much about it other than the lingering impression that the author didn't suck. He has written over 30 books with only a handful on the topic of Egypt, but the one that caught my eye was "River God". This is the first in a four part series about a warrior in Pharaoh's army as seen through the eyes of his servant, a eunuch named Taita. So far, I am still in the character buildup of the novel, but the attention to detail on the dress, landscape, social classes, and atmosphere of how we understand the era is phenomenal. I am very much ingratiated into this book. I (so far) recommend it to anyone interested in a historical fiction. From that I understand of it, there will be fierce war battles as well as a little romance, which began to manifest itself on about the second page.

Things around the house are settled down. I look forward to resuming my social life this weekend. So to my local buddies - how does Saturday evening strike you?

Oh yes, and Pharmacy school has just been pushed out another year. So now I am forced to reevaluate my pursuit. At this point, I will be 35 by the time I am finished. So now my future is in the air. College degree? You bet. Will it necessarily be in pharmacy? I don't know.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

You lose points for misspelling "Hypocrisy" but you regain partial credit for not spelling it like all the internet morons do these days "Hypocracy."

Obviously it's pharmacy school. If you somehow land short of that goal, you still have many options ahead of you. I was older than you are now when I went to law school. And my boy Jason Harris won't even START law school until next year and he will be 35! Makes us look like chumps! You're fine, don't sweat it.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Aaron \m/ said...

According to multiple sources (internet and MS Word), it is spelled hypocrisy.

As for Pharmacy school, here are the issues I have to work around:

The prereqs keep changing

Every year I say "Only two more years of pre-pharm"

Most importantly, I am not sure how I would like being a pharmacist seeing as I like my current job less than I liked working for Fuddruckers when I was 16. I haven't made concrete desisions yet. My class schedule is unaltered for next semester. I won't make any changes unless I come up with a better plan.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason you liked working at Fuddruckers when you were 16 is because you met Martin working there and through Martin you met the Glory that is I.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Aaron \m/ said...

Actually, I hated Fuddruckers. However, if not for that job, I never would have met you or Martin, so it payed off nicely.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home