Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Slowly the ball rolls

Some people who read this blog regularly know that I have decided to abandon the whole 4-5 piece musical group playing local shows. I feel (you like that, Mike?) it to have been nothing but a drag since I started it up again...and this includes the time I spent with the mildly successful Ekosphere. Successful in that we had gotten to a point where promoters were inviting us to play at some pretty good sized venues. Bands suffer from too much drama, and not enough gratification out of the music as a whole. The truth is that most bands end up falling apart because everyone has their own ideas and vision of what their music should be about. The slim minority that manage to find like-minded musicians are the folks that we hear on the radio and are still together after the 5 year average lifespan of a signed act.

I have not given up on music, however. Instead, I am going to set my sights on an idea I had many years ago when I was in high school. Because I am smart, I will not disclose this idea on a public forum only to have it ripped away from me. It doesn't take a lawyer to figure that out. It does take a law school graduate, though to get this thing rolling faster. Because I think it is a bad idea to have any one person arrange music at the scale I plan to have it arranged, I went to Mike with my idea and asked him more or less if he would like to arrange the music with me. He seems to be quite open to it, as I thought he might, because he and I had already discussed doing something similar in our "band"...if you want to call it that. The ball got a nudge in the right direction.

All the arrangement in the world means nothing unless you know you have competant musicians to pull it off -- if nothing else than for the recording. So I asked a couple buddies, one a drummer, the other a guitarist/keyboardist if they would be willing to do the recordings. I still need to speak to Jeff on the matter. I did not divulge any details other than I am trying to get something together and when the time comes to record, if they would be willing to lay out some tracks for me. I have only heard from the drummer, but he is all for it. This is good. So the ball gets another little nudge in the right direction.

The nice thing about what I am doing is that success would not be based on any particular age (performer-wise), radio play, nor would it be based on a "record deal". A project like this can succeed on its own merit. Worst case scenario: we put together some great sounding music and record it to posterity.

At any rate, I will post more information on my secret project as it develops.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

What a whimsical musical idea! :)

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home