Monday, December 01, 2008

Gimme an "R"! Gimme a "C"! Gimme a "T"!

What's that for? Root canal therapy!

Ick. I get my first root canal on Wednesday morning. This will be my first dental procedure in well over a decade. On one hand, I am nervous. On the other hand, I will be completely numb, and then there won't be a nerve to feel pain after the numbness is over. Objectively speaking, I have nothing to worry about. It is the concept of root canals that freaks me out. The best part is they call it therapy - a word one does not normally associate with invasive procedures. Maybe they will start calling a stint placed in the aorta as aortic therapy. Might make it easier for the patient to digest.

So I missed TSO this year. I was actually very upset because I saw the setlist and saw a song I never thought I would hear live. Then I found out the east coast company of the band are the only ones playing it. Anyway, though it is not really a "rock anthem", it is definitely worth posting. As some of the people who frequent this blog know, Trans-Siberian Orchestra evolved from the band Savatage. In fact, some of the TSO songs are actually songs from Savatage's catalog. Most notably, "Christmas Eve Sarajevo" and "Back to a Reason". At any rate, only Savatage fans know that the band was started by the Oliva brothers. 15 years ago, lead guitarist Criss Oliva was killed by a drunk drunk driver effectively signaling the beginning of the end of Savatage. Criss' brother, Jon, is one of the brains behind the company that is TSO. This year, no doubt as a memorium to Criss, TSO has chosen the song, "Believe" as this year's "cover". I put that in quotes because a lot of the people in the east coast TSO group were in Savatage at one point or another.

Anyway, I was talking to Mike (Seppy), and in two weeks he will get to see this performed. Good times.

"Believe" is one of the great power ballads of its time. I will post the song as it was originally recorded and also a performance by TSO themselves. Bear in mind, the latter is a bootleg and as such has inferior sound quality. Inferior the sound may be, but there is an emotional charge that the original doesn't have - then again, the song means more to the friends and former band members of Criss Oliva now than it did back when he was alive.



1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I can't wait

Setlist:

East: 'Wizards In Winter', 'Queen Of The Winter Night',
'Prelude To Madness' (Savatage), 'Believe' (Savatage), 'A Last Illusion', 'Siberian Sleigh Ride', - drum solo - , 'Tracers', 'Mozart', 'Christmas Canon', 'Carmina Burana', 'Requiem' or 'Beethoven/Requiem', 'Wish Liszt', 'Christmas Eve 12/24' (Savatage).

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home